The first step toward becoming a certified Administrator for a Residential Care Facility for the Elderly (RCFE) in California is to successfully complete an 80-hour Initial Certification Training Program. With CareerSmart®, for your convenience, this program is made up of 20 Online hours and 60 hours of Live Classroom Instruction. Once you have selected and registered for your preferred location and dates for the Live Classroom portion of the training, you will automatically be enrolled in the 20 Online hours. You will receive an email confirmation and can begin taking these courses immediately. The Online portion of the training can be taken at any time prior to completion of the 80-hour program, but we encourage students to complete them before starting the 60-hour Live Classroom training, to ensure the most optimal learning experience. Certificates of completion for the full 80 hours of Initial Certification Training will not be issued to students until both portions of the program are complete. However, by offering 20 hours online, you have the flexibility to complete a portion of the training from the comfort of your own home, or anywhere you have internet access.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQS)
Are you approved by the CCLD?
The 80-hour program offered by CareerSmart® Learning is approved by the California Department of Social Services, Community Care Licensing Division (CCLD), Administration Certification Section, (Vendor #2000386-0740-1), will prepare students for the State RCFE Administrator Certification Exam, and will give students the necessary tools to become successful RCFE Administrators.
What are the benefits of choosing CareerSmart® classes?
- 20 hours can be completed online, from any location with internet access.
- 60 hours are in a live classroom setting
- Free take-home books and other materials, including Health and Safety Code & Title 22 Regulations
- Classes are taught by credentialed, engaging instructors, including former Licensing Program staff from CCLD who possess expertise in the RCFE program, providing insider perspectives on enhancing facility compliance, as well as experienced Administrators/Executive Directors, nurses and dementia specialists.
- Practice test conducted in class and correct answers reviewed with students, to help ensure success on the State exam.
- Snacks and beverages provided in live classes
What if my certificate expired?
Note: Individuals whose RCFE Administrator Certificate expired more than four years ago are required to retake the Initial Certification Course. However, if your certificate expired within the last four years, this course is not applicable. You would need to renew your certificate by submitting evidence of completing the required CEUs (20 per year).
What if I have a current Nursing Home Administrator License?
Individuals who possess a current Nursing Home Administrator license, issued by the California Department of Public Health, are only required to take 12 of the 80 hours and do not need to take the state exam. Regulations require the 12 hours include the topics of laws and regulations, medications, and admission/assessment of residents. For this abbreviated 12-hour live classroom program, the cost is $399. If you would like to enroll in the 12 hours, please give us a call at 877-479-7338, so that we may process your payment over the phone, as our website only has the full pricing available for purchase online.
What qualifications do I need to become an RCFE Administrator?
To become an RCFE/Assisted Living Administrator in California, individuals must meet the following qualifications, per California Health and Safety Code and Title 22:
The administrator shall have the qualifications specified in Sections 87405(d)(1) through (7). If the licensee is also the administrator, all requirements for an administrator shall apply.
- Knowledge of the requirements for providing care and supervision appropriate to the residents.
- Knowledge of and ability to conform to the applicable laws, rules, and regulations.
- Ability to maintain or supervise the maintenance of financial and other records.
- When applicable, the ability to direct the work of others.
- Good character and a continuing reputation of personal integrity.
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent, such as a General Education Development (GED) certificate.
- Be at least 21 years of age.
If you have a question about whether you qualify to become an administrator please contact us at 877-479-7338 or email@example.com
How do I complete the online portion of the 80 hour program?
Watch the video below for instructions on accessing the online portion.
What is your refund/make-up policy?
- Cancellations or transfers by learner are accepted up to ten (10) days preceding a live event’s scheduled start time/date, Pacific Standard Time (PST). All cancellations made earlier than ten (10) days preceding a live event will be entitled to a refund of registration fees, minus a 10% non-refundable processing fee. The refund amount will be issued within 30 days of cancellation. No refunds will be provided for event cancellations made by learners less than ten (10) days prior to the event.
- Cancellations by learner are not accepted less than ten (10) days prior to the live event’s scheduled start time/date, Pacific Standard Time (PST). However, you may still transfer your purchase to another program or learner if at least 24-hour advance notice prior to the class date is provided. All transfers made less than ten (10) days prior to the event are subject to a $75 transfer fee for Initial Certification Programs.
- No refunds will be provided for learners enrolled in a program with both live classroom and online components if the learner has started the online or live component.
- For cancellations by CareerSmart® Learning, learners will be notified at least 24 hours (PST) in advance of the event start time/date. Learners may transfer their registration to another class date, or will be entitled to a full refund, which will be issued within 30 days of the cancellation date.
- Learners who have enrolled in a routine or regularly scheduled Initial Certification Training Program and are more than 15-minutes late to class or are unable to attend a portion of the program, may be allowed to make-up the entire day(s) missed within a 6-month period, subject to availability, and subject to a $75 make-up fee per day missed.
A 10% non-refundable processing fee will be retained by CareerSmart® Learning for all refunds issued upon request of learner/client/sponsor. Refunds will be issued by CareerSmart® Learning within 30 days of the cancellation date.
If you have additional questions about our refund/make-up policy or need to reschedule a live class date, please contact us at 877-479-7338 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Disclaimer: Dates and locations are subject to change, depending on student enrollment. Any location change will be communicated to those registered in advance and efforts will be made to ensure the alternate location will be within the same city or geographic vicinity of the original class.