This course provides an overview of concepts related to cultural competency and LGBTQ sensitivity in a long term care setting. This course was updated in 2018 to meet the California requirements for professionals working in assisted living and skilled nursing environments. By the end of this course learners will be able to:
- Explain why it is important to gain further knowledge about LGBT persons
- Recite the facts of the laws pertaining to the LGBT population in long term care
- Discuss challenges faced by LGBT seniors
- Identify opportunities regarding quality of life and marketing
- Identify solutions through awareness through training of staff and becoming a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment
This course is NOT for continuing education units or contact hours unless otherwise specified*; it is intended to contribute to staff training for skilled and non-skilled professionals working in a long term care setting (Skilled Nursing and Congregate Living Facilities) and is intended to meet the compliance requirements for California.
*This course is approved for 1.0 CEU/contact hour for California RN, LVN and LPN only. This course is not approved for CNA.
*Per California regulations, the content of this course must be viewed in its entirety in order to receive course credit. If a slide contains interactive elements, each element must be viewed in order to proceed in the module.
Learners must pass a final exam with 80% or higher; exam may be re-taken as often as needed.
Certificates available for download or printing immediately upon completion and transcripts will be available for 1-year from the date of enrollment.